Wednesday, June 29, 2022

It's Not Nice to Fool (With) Mother Nature

I'm dating myself - really badly - but a few of you may be old enough to remember the old Chiffon margarine commercial "It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature", which came out in 1974. You can find it on YouTube if you are curious. Well, I found out about that the hard way yesterday, trying to get our 9th run in and hoping a storm would hold off on us. WRONG! The storm had just been sitting near Auburn for 30 minutes dumping water - but about the time I turned our runners loose, the storm combined with a storm between Opelika and Columbus, and headed straight toward us. A handful of runners had finished before the bottom fell out. Thankfully the lightning was not on top of us, but it was a sure-enough downpour for about 30 minutes. My timer paper got wet and quit feeding, the timer quit, we had to put up the clock, and all the finish cards got soaked - so what few cards had names on them were hard to read. Unfortunately I was not able to capture accurate results for our run - so I won't be posting any times for yesterday. What a mess! I apologize to all for not being able to capture your times. It's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature, and she let me know it. Hopefully next week will be better. It was great having the OHS Cross Country team run with us, much thanks to Vicki Gould for arranging for them to participate. I hope to have some or all of you back for our remaining 5 runs. For all of you, keep in mind that our watermelon run will be on July 12th (free watermelon), and our pizza run will take place on August 2nd, our last run. Pizza will be free as well. By the way, Vicki captured most of the CC team times manually, so results were not a complete bust. As far as perfect attendance goes, run 9 won't be considered since it was such a disaster. I've still got things spread out in the garage drying as I post this at lunchtime Wednesday. Much thanks to Meredith for bringing the pound cake, which unfortunately nobody had a chance to enjoy. I also ended up with a pile of half cooked hamburgers and hot dogs. It is what it is. That's the first time in 19 years that the run was a complete bust. Hopefully the last, too! Lastly, welcome to several first time runners for the 2022 series. Hope you will be back. In closing, I did note that most of the runners enjoyed the coolness of running in the rain - but I guess I can't say that for runners with strollers! That was not so cool. Hopefully we can get back to normal next week. Hope to see you then. Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment